Kielbasa Mac & Cheese
8-12 oz of penne or another shape of pasta
2 tsp vegetable oil
14 oz of Kielbasa Sausage links, sliced thin
½ green bell pepper, chopped
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic finely minced
4 tbsp soft salted butter
¼ cup flour
1 tsp Cajun seasoning (optional)
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 1/3 cups milk
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (divided)
- Heat the oven to 350° F.
- Lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Cook the pasta following package directions...check pasta for slightly firm but not hard. Drain well in a colander and rinse with water. Set aside. In a skillet over medium heat with just enough oil to coat the bottom, cook the kielbasa sausage with the bell pepper until lightly browned and bell pepper is softened. Add green onion and garlic and cook for about 2 min longer.
- Remove sausage mixture to a plate or bowl – set aside. Add the butter to the same pan and heat over medium heat until melted and frothy. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Cook, stirring for 2 min. Add Cajun seasoning (optional) and pepper. Gradually stir in the milk and cook, stirring until thickened and bubbly.
- Add 2 cups of the cheese and cook, stirring until melted.
- Combine all mixtures, lightly folding them together and spoon into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and the cheese is melted, with slightly brown edges.
- Let stand and sprinkle lightly with chopped green onion tops or scallions. Serve warm.